Monday, July 31, 2006

The Dreams of Dylan McKay



So I’ve gotten way back into 90210 reruns. They’re kind of the only thing getting me through the work week at this point. I watch two episodes a day, but I fast-forward any scene that Andrea is in and any scene where Jamie “How Do You Talk to an Angel” Walters picks up his guitar, so it only takes me about an hour to knock out both. Anyway, I’m immersed in the Brenda’s-gone-but-sweet-Kelly-Kapowski-has-come-to-take-her-place-
only-she's-not-sweet-but-kind-of-evil episodes. You know, where Brandon is always talking about the “task force” and Steve looks like he’s 45. Anyway, I just saw what might be the most ridiculous piece of television ever created. Dylan has turned to booze, tits (Tiffany Amber’s) and speed balls to cope with the fact that his dad blew up in a car and the people he thought were his family (dead dad’s ex-lover and Dylan's half-sister) were actually grifters and they convinced him to put all of his money into an environmental science venture, but then they actually robbed him of his millions and headed out of the country. So, Dylan does a little coke and a little horse and drives his car off a cliff. That brings us to the episode that we need to talk about.

“The Dreams of Dylan McKay”
Dylan is in a coma and the director just watched a David Lynch movie. This “dreamscape” episode will give you more laughs than even the finest comedy. They want it to have the feel of "Twin Peaks," but it kind of comes off like this psychological softcore I once caught where this girl experiences a sexual awakening in the moments of her death and nothing is what it seems. Anyway, the dialogue is amazing, and the bold attempts at surrealism (e.g., midget in a costume, drug dealer in the hellmouth, doctors and nurses in pseudo fetish gear) are more Grieco than Grieco. It’s almost impossible to make it through the entire episode even when you do fast-forward Andrea (who,by the way, makes Steve look youthful), but if you come across it you should definitely give it a shot. I know it’s TV, but I’m giving it 3 ½-Griecos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you crack me up

good writing, as always!