Thursday, October 12, 2006

Spooooky!


October is in full swing and I'm very excited, because it's by far my favorite month. Some might suggest that I'm selfish and only like October for it's the month of my birth. I say to those cynical pricks, "Nay, sirs. My love of October stems from my love of all things terrifying." It's true. Every movie channel this month is doing like a "13 Days of Halloween" thing, so there are going to be horror pictures on all of the time. And on top of that, tomorrow is Friday the 13th. It's like a beautiful goth dream. Speaking of beautiful goth things, the lovely Sherpa and I will be attending Friday the 13th Part III in 3-D this weekend, so expect a bold, multi-dimensional review next week. I also have a ton of horror movies on the Netflix, so it should get fucking scary around here really soon. In the mean time, I'd like to highlight some of my favorite horror movies. I'm assuming that you've seen the classics, so I'll try to focus on movies that you might have overlooked. Some are Grieco-worthy, others are just awesome:

Halloween 4 and Halloween 5: Last Halloween, I got to see Part 4 on the big screen for the first time, and it reaffirmed my belief that it's one of the coolest horror movies of all time. Now, I know that the original and Part 2 are incredible, and if you haven't seen them you truly suck. I also know that Part 3 is beyond Grieco, Part 6 is cool but has problems, and that H2O and Ressurection are abominations and a disgrace to the title "Halloween." But Parts 4 and 5 (especially 4) are damn near perfect. The kid who plays young Jamie is the best child actor ever to grace the screen, the deaths are brutal, and the Michael Meyers/Dr. Loomis scenes are on a whole other level. 4 & 5 are linked in the same way as 1 & 2, so I suggest watching them back-to-back.

Peeping Tom: BTS could probably give a better breakdown as to why this movie is important in the grand scheme of things, but I'll just say it's one of the creepiest movies I've seen, and it was way ahead of it's time. You should check it out.

Suspiria: Italinan director Dario Argento is famous among horror nerds, but I've noticed that a lot of normals haven't seen his work. The dialogue in Suspiria is ridiculous and the plot holes are larger than any gaping wound, but the look of the movie is unlike any American horror movie I've seen, the deaths are just insane, and the prog score by Goblin will haunt you for the rest of your days.

Wait Until Dark: Audrey Hepburn is a blind girl and a young Alan Arkin basically plays three different parts. It's pretty obvious that it was a play first, but it's still cool and kind of scary. Also, Hepburn is just damn cute.

Motel Hell: A Grieco-style film that has some nice gore, disgusting sound effects, and the great Rory Calhoun. Not for everyone, but I think a lot of you might get a kick out of it.

OK, I know I said I was going to gloss over the classics, but I have to say a few things. If you haven't seen the original The Omen your life has been but half lived. If you're a fan of The Exorcist you need to see the remastered version with the Death Face. That shit is messed up. If you're a fan of The Exorcist II: The Heretic give the aformentioned BTS a call, because the man knows way too much about that film. The Shining is freaking horrifying every time I wacth it, and I'm pretty sure those little girls will be waiting for me at the Gates of Hell when I die. The sister in Pet Sematary is one of the freakiest things I've ever laid eyes on, and when she says "Raaachael" I feel as though I'm the one with spinal meningitis.

That about does it for me today. Enjoy the 13th and I'll tell you if machetes really are scarier in 3-D.

Author's note: I had no spellcheck on this and I'm a horrible speller, so I'm sorry if there are any huge mistakes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude- you totally spelled "meningitis" just right. Congrats! Hopefully I will get out of work in time to join you for Friday 13 part 3.

Anonymous said...

Nice return to form, Grieco.

I haven't seen the Omen, and you know it.