Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Name that Movie: Is it...Naked Demon Summoning Circle?

Last week, I was flipping through the channels (finally got cable!) and testing myself as I am wont to do. The test is to see how quickly I can name the movie that is showing. My goal is always to get it before I hear a line of dialogue, and as my former roommates can attest, I'm pretty damn good at it. Yes, I have quite an exciting ninjaesque life. Anyway, on this particular night, I was totally stumped. I stared on and had absolutely no idea what I was watching. I couldn't even begin to come up with something. The scene, however, was totally amazing, so I let it go.

A young Alexis Arquette (The lovely Sherpa nailed that, I didn't recognize him out of drag) was walking around some sort of sacred circle. From the lighting, you could tell some dramatic ritualistic shit was about to go down. Finally, a ring of flames emerges in that “hey, we totally just lit a ring of gasoline” type way. Then, what you think is a demon emerges. At first it's a bit gooey and gross, and the demon has kind of a weird pengina. Like a doll or a Swede. But then it goes into that wacky sort of fast-forward editing (like you'd see in a movie starring Sindbad), and the demon transforms into a teen, and he and Alexis engage in some witty banter/what-do-you need-me-to-do-master talk.

My question is this: What the hell movie was I watching?

I did some work on IMDB, and I'm pretty sure I figured it out, but if any of you know it or have a guess, I would love to hear it. I'd also like to get this going as a regular segment, but I tend to have big hopes that never quite work out when it comes to that stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe the title is "Sometimes They Come Back...Again". It is the sequel to "Sometimes They Come Back," which I think you mentioned as your first guess as we watched the demon emerge from the slime pool and expose its pengina. *shudder*

# 5 said...

The Lovely Sherpa is right. It was "Sometimes They Come Back...Again." Nice work. Perhaps, we should join forces and try out for some sort of pop culture world series. Maybe we could be alternates because flippin' VH1 wanted to cast three chicks from Austin with long legs and no knowledge of anything pop or culture related. Screw you, VH1. I didn't mean it. I love you, VH1. You just hurt me so bad.