Wednesday, April 05, 2006

If Music Be the Food of Love...

In my college days, I was one of those kids who did the whole Wizard of OZ/Darkside of the Moon thing. It totally blew my mind, and it continued to blow my mind the next three or four times I tried it. Now, I’ll leave the “did they or didn’t they” debate to those who frequent the Pink Floyd laser shows, and I will say that this is not a lone phenomenon. A friend of mine (the one who suggested this post) discovered that ELO’s concept album Time plays perfectly with Species 2. We also stumbled onto the fact that there is an ‘80s mix CD that I’m sure was created to be played with this obscure “Tiger Seal” documentary that is on Discover or National Geographic. Trust me, when you hear “Toy Soldiers” by Martika play while this poor little animal gets tossed in the air, you will cry. Unless of course you have no soul. Anyway, all of this got me thinking about possible music/movie combos that might work out. Here is a short list of what I came up with.

Steve Vai’s Passion and Warfare with The English Patient
Let’s face it. Only the sweet rock melodies of Vai could make this piece-of-shit movie bearable.

The Flaming Lips’ The Soft Bulletin with The Hobbit (Animated)
I think this disk probably works with anything especially if there is ‘Tussin dust involved, but I really believe it’s gonna take what is already a badass cartoon to the next level.

Trans Am’s Futureworld with Futureworld

Hall & Oates’ Greatest Hits with Weekend at Bernie’s
I really think there is something to this one. Both pieces are clearly fueled by cocaine, and both feature a comically mismatched pair consisting of one WASP and one ethnic dude. And it's Hall & Oates, so you can't really go wrong.

That's all I got for now. Please let me know if you have stumbled upon any other combos or if there are any you are seriously contemplating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I know it sounds totally crazy, but that National Geographic thing TOTALLY synched up with the 80s tunes. It was weird...and so very awesome. By the way, there ain't no such thing as a "tiger seal." It was the ferocious leopard seal that ate those little penguins. Those teeth...*shudder*.