Monday, November 05, 2007

Behind the Mask

I know Halloween is over, but there is one more horror movie I need to talk about before I move on.

The lovely Sherpa and I returned to the ATX this weekend to kick it somewhat old skool with TGOGS and Obidiah. TGOGS suggested that we check out Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. While Behind the Mask never had a theatrical release (the sexiest kind of release if you ask me), it did show at the greatest movie theater in America, The Alamo Draft House, and TGOGS was lucky enough to see it.

The movie is set up as a documentary (a mockumentary if you will) that follows a slasher movie style killer as he prepares for the big night that will secure his place in supernatural killing lore. It is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while, and it breaks down the slasher movie in a way that even Scream didn't do. It also gives answers to all of those “how the hell did he get up and disappear after being shot six times questions” that you would ask if you ever wanted to punch holes in a horror plot. I don't want to give too much away, but the movie does transition into something different in the end.

The casting is dead on (Robert Englund and the little short old lady from Poltergeist even show up), and the movie is really entertaining. While it's never truly terrifying or anything, there is a great mask and some scary moments. As Behind the Mask combines two of my favorite genres, horror and mockumentaries, I was a little angry that I didn't think of this idea first. If you're a horror fan, you should definitely see it.

Say “Grieco” three times in the mirror and he will appear, drink all of your beer, yell shit at your TV, and then vanish. I dare you to try.

4 comments:

elisamaza76 said...

Have been reading your archives, and I might be in love with your blog. I can't speak about Griecos (I haven't seen his work, though I am now dying to), but I love bad movies (friends and I planning to watch Beastmaster this weekend), and I applaud your devotion.

# 5 said...

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy Beastmaster...and its sequels.

Anonymous said...

A young Angela Goethals played Jerry Maguire's gymnast client who fires him in the first reel.

Anonymous said...

AWW!! That's RIGHT! I was trying to figure out where I'd seen her the whole time I was watching. Thanks, CTC. You are indeed very wise.