Wednesday, February 01, 2006

You're Watching Sports Night on CSC

I have tried to avoid reviewing TV shows on GIK, because that just opens up a world of possibilities, and if I hate anything, it’s possibilities. I also realize that I rarely (never?) review something that I believe is good without any sort of irony attached. Today, I break both of those rules.

Sports Night
“Sports Night” was a short-lived series that aired from like ’98 to 2000. It was created by Aaron Sorkin who penned A Few Good Men, and would go on to create “The West Wing.” (note: That show totally fell apart when Sorkin left. Rob Lowe’s leaving didn’t help, either. Damn, that guy is handsome.) Anyway, “Sports Night” has a great cast including Peter Krause (speaking of damn handsome) from “Six Feet Under,” Josh “Knox Overstreet” Charles, and Felicity Huffman who’s been taking the awards shows by storm for that movie about the transsexual and that show about those housewives who seem to think they’re a lot more attractive than they really are (I’m talking to you Teri Hatcher and Nicolette Sheridan). Robert “Benson” Guillaume, Josh Molina, and the great Ted McGinley also play pivotal roles. Man, William H. Macy (husband of Huffman) even shows up to knock out a few episodes, and he cannot be denied. Anyway, the show is available on DVD, and you should really check it out. There are only 45 episodes, and they move fast. In fact, I once stayed up for 24 hours straight and watched the entire series. That’s how cool I am. Now, the show takes a few episodes to find its legs and get rid of the studio-demanded laugh track, but once it does, you will not be disappointed. Oh, and you don’t have to like sports or know anything about sports to enjoy “Sports Night.” However, I would suggest you watch a Cubs game. Not to get a better feel for the show or anything, but just to watch the Cubs.

No comments: