Tuesday, August 21, 2007

What Would We Do Baby...?

I've been watching a bit of "Veronica Mars" (fuck you, it's awesome) with the lovely Sherpa, and I find myself humming the catchy Dandy Warhols' opening theme. It's made me start thinking a lot about TV theme songs. Now, I know one man's Alan Thicke is another man's Johnny Mathis, but there are some themes that have stood the test of time regardless of who you're into, am I right? So, GIK readers, I put the task to you to single out the greatest TV theme song of all time. Please tell me and the others out there which song is the best, and why it's the best. Perhaps I can then make a mix tape and ask Brooke out to the social. I mean I think she was looking at me in P.E.

Oh, I'm putting out the "Twin Peaks" theme as the best of all time. It's perfick in every way. Sometimes, I wish it had the lyrics with it, but other times I'm glad it doesn't. I had the single when I was a kid, and my jam box would flip the tape over (suck on that, iPod), so I would fall asleep listening to both versions over and over. Then, I'd wake up and kill the homecoming queen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The following spring immediately to mind, but I'll have to think about this some more:

With lyrics:
Greatest American Hero
Sesame Street
The Muppet Show
The Fresh Prince of Bel Aire (not really)
Silver Spoons
The Dukes of Hazzard
there's obviously a nostalgia kick taking place here. Clearly I'm overlooking something worthwhile from this decade.

Sans lyrics:
The Simpsons
Magnum, P.I.
The A-Team
The Peoples Court internal theme (if the typing FX count as part of the song)

Some of the worst include:
Malcom in the Middle
(I may catch some shit for this, but) M.A.S.H. - the reason I've never watched an episode of the show is that the theme song makes me for real nauseated, and I don't know what it is, but it's the same thing that makes me vaguely seasick when I hear Seals and Croft's Summer Breeze.
The hammer-claw bass idiocy of Seinfeld

# 5 said...

TGOGS--nice call on Magnum PI. That song is the shit and could be a hit right now. Surprised you didn't go with Miami Vice. I know some will disagree with your MASH thing, but I back you up. It's like the Baby Boomers in song form.

Anonymous said...

"Seventh Heaven...When I see their happy faces smiling back at me.
Seventh Heaven...I know there's no greater feeling than the love of family.
Where can you goooooo
when the world don't treat you right?
The answer is hoooooome
that's the one place that you'll find
Seventh Heaven.
Ooooohhh Seventh Heaven."

kritter said...

I, too, LOVE the "Veronica Mars" theme song. (It was my myspace profile song for quite awhile!) However, I'm going to offer up "The Fall Guy." It occasionally pops up on my iPod and it makes me smile. The M.A.S.H theme song gives me major angst in the same way that the theme songs from "Barney Miller" and "Entertainment Tonight" do. I think it's because I was always doing homework as my parents watched them. "Mr. Belvedere" anyone?

Anonymous said...

The theme song to Jem and the Holograms is "truly outrageous."

squidbrain said...

Diff'rent Strokes, folks!