Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Where Have All the Drifters Gone?

As I prepare myself for the upcoming long weekend and opening night of the Halloween remake, I am reminded that the Summer movie season is coming to an end. Now, as far as blockbusters go, it was a fairly bold season. Spider Man 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 3, Bourne 3, Potter 5, Transformers, etc. I missed Pirates, liked Spidey because I'm a Spider Man/Raimi nerd, was a bit disappointed in Potter because Book 5 is my favorite and they left way too much out, flipping loved Bourne because I love Bourne, and almost cried when Optimus Prime transformed for the first time because I long for my youth. Heck, I was even way into Invasion, so overall for me it was a standard decent summer movie season. But where was the Tokyo Drift of aught-seven? Where was the action picture starring B or even C stars like Lucas Black and that kid who plays Lance Harbor in Varsity Blues? Was it out there, and I just missed it? Summer can't just be about sequels and movies based on stuff. We need our ensemble of walking stereotypes like ID4, our glorious failures like National Treasure, and our low-budget/low-concept pieces that focus on the exploits of a young American trying to learn how to live, how to love, and how to drift on the streets of Japan.

If there was a Driftesque picture out there this summer and I missed it, please let me know. If not, let us devise one ourselves and show those fat cats down in Hollywood a thing or to.

DTLMF

No comments: