Monday, October 15, 2007

Time to Get Spooooky

With Halloween quickly approaching, I want to put together at least a few posts celebrating my favorite holiday of the year (take that Birth/Resurrection of Jesus!). Sorry. That was uncalled for. Especially when effing Flag Day is really the bain of my existence.

Anyway, to get things started, I have returned to the familiar stomping grounds of the Sci-Fi network. They're offering some bold pictures for the Halloween season. Here are some titles to look out for. I'm using the Sci-Fi promo copy to describe them, because it's too good to mess with. I'll throw my $.02 in, as well.

Wraiths of Roanoke: "They came from England to tame the New World, only to become the prey of an ancient evil."

--The lovely Sherpa and I caught about 7 minutes of this gem. It looks fantastic. People wearing colony garb; talking in colony speak. The guy who played the Highlander on the TV show (apparently, there can be more than one) is the lead colony dude, and a guy who did voice work in what I believe is the third installment of The Mangler is also in it, so you know it's good. I caught a glimpse of a fine pilgrim woman, a terrible leftover set from Last of the Mohicans, and a dangling corpse.
Projected Grieco Rating: 3-Griecos

The Grave Dancers: "Three friends accidentally invoke an ancient curse that can kill them all."

--I hate it when that happens. The poster features what I guess is one of the titular villains. He looks like a cross between Gollum, a C.H.U.D., Pumpkinhead, and a kindly old dwarf professor.
Projected Grieco Rating: 4-Griecos

Something Beneath: "Subterranean Humanoids prey on scientists at an ecological summit."

--Speaking of C.H.U.D.s. The poster for this looks like a cheap X-files ripoff, and while I applaud the topicality of an eco summit, it sounds kind of lame.
Projected Grieco Rating: 2 1/2-Griecos (the ½ is for the subterranean humanoid)

Hopefully, these three spoooky films will get you started. I'll try to find some horror films that are actually good to highlight, as well. Your suggestions, as always, are welcome. Oh, Sci-Fi also just showed a movie in which a guy receiving oral pleasures from a hooker finds that whilst in the process, the hooker has been decapitated by a really quiet psycho killer. I'm looking for the title as we speak, because I'm pretty sure that will bust the Grieco rating system altogether.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, this is weird / akward / nerve racking, etc. Don't ask how I came across this blog, but I thought I would say "hi". MF, it's Tim, from Richardson, TX. Anyway, I love the blog. The wife and I are addicted to good and bad horror movies. So, in an effort to contribute, I thought I would give you a short list of "gems" that we have watched:

1. Pinata: Survival Island - A possessed Pinata goes on a rampage against some teens. Starring Jaime Pressly...yum.

2. House of the Dead - I think you may have mentioned this one already (when discussing works of Uwe Boll). If so, I apologize. All I have to say is WOW. The cuts to the actual video game are truly astonishing. Was that Nintendo or Sega Genesis?

3. High Tension - This one is actually pretty decent. I think the wife and I figured it out in about 15 minutes. However, the blood and gore made the movie. Especially the end / grand finale. Joe Bob Briggs would have given this 3 stars.

Anyway, if I did repeat any of the movies in your blog, I apologize. These were some of our favorites. If you want to contact me, I still work for the large computer company. My email address format is firstname_lastname@largecomputercompany.com

Take care...

# 5 said...

Man, it's good to hear from you. Even better to learn about Pinata: Survival Island. Hope you're doing well.